We enjoy taking photos. Why? The reasons are ingrained in our ability to have memories. We like to remember all those special moments, unforgettable experiences and cheerful celebrations with the people who matter to us. Otherwise, wouldn’t we all just be going through the motions, seeing no significance to everything? Wouldn’t we just be existing? Wouldn’t each of us be slightly less of a human?
We live our daily lives and make memories constantly. Since we have certain memories to cherish, we take measures in order to keep them safe and accessible at any time. And without a doubt, taking pictures is the easiest way — and the best way.
On that note, allow us to share 25 impactful, meaningful quotes about pictures and memories. It’s quite likely that you will agree with most of these.
Quotes about the innate beauty of photographs
Can you imagine living in a world where taking pictures is simply not possible? Neither can we. It’s almost as if photographs were meant to exist at some point in time, and now they surely top the list of things that add meaning to our existence. Here are five quotes succinctly — and poetically — connecting the importance of pictures to the ‘artistic’ aspect of life.
1. “Photograph: a picture painted by the sun without instruction in art.” – Ambrose Bierce
2. “One advantage of photography is that it’s visual and can transcend language.” – Lisa Kristine
3. “A photograph is like a recipe — the memory is the finished dish.” – Carrie Latet
4. “The Earth is art, the photographer is only a witness.” – Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Earth from Above
5. “God creates the beauty. My camera and I are a witness.” – Mark Denman
Quotes that reflect on the purpose of taking pictures
When you hear of others who discuss what the meaning of life truly is, it tends to be centered in understanding one’s purpose. Why am I here? What is my destiny? Are there signs I should be following so that I’ll eventually find my purpose? Interestingly enough, among the quotes about pictures and memories in this list, these next ones are most philosophical about an activity as commonplace as picture-taking.
6. “A camera is a SAVE button for the mind’s eye.” – Roger Kingston
7. “Taking an image, freezing a moment, reveals how rich reality truly is.” – Anonymous
8. “Taking pictures is savoring life intensely, every hundredth of a second.” – Marc Riboud
9. “Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.” – David Alan Harvey
10. “If you see something that moves you, and then snap it, you keep a moment.” – Linda McCartney
11. “In the world of photography, you get to share a captured moment with other people.” – James Wilson
12. “A good snapshot keeps a moment from running away.” – E. Welty
13. “My life is shaped by the urgent need to wander and observe, and my camera is my passport.” – Steve McCurry
14. “We are making photographs to understand what our lives mean to us.” – Ralph Hattersley
Quotes that define photography
How do you see photography? Do you ever snap a picture and wonder right after: “Why did I take this shot?” Maybe there was something else behind it — apart from the usual reasons of documenting the moment, sharing it with friends and loved ones. If so, you may just relate to some of these following quotes about pictures and memories tied to them.
15. “Essentially what photography is is life lit up.” – Sam Abell
16. “Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.” – Aaron Siskind
17. “Photography is the story I fail to put into words.” – Destin Sparks
18. “Photography is a love affair with life.” – Burk Uzzle
19. “Photography is the art of making memories tangible.” – Destin Sparks
Quotes that describe memories
Finally, let’s wrap up this list with half a dozen sentimental, thought-provoking quotes about memories themselves. Indeed, they can reshape your perspective of life a little bit. They compel you to consider how your own memories are the intangible things that make you you, things that allow you to live and not simply exist.
20. “Memories are timeless treasures of the heart.” – Unknown
21. “People change. Memories don’t.” – Unknown
22. “Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” – Unknown
23. “Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.” – Unknown
24. “Life is shorter, live it. Love is rare, grab it. Anger is bad, dump it. Fear is awful, face it. Memories are sweet, cherish them.” – Unknown
25. “Life brings tears, smiles, and memories. The tears dry, the smiles fade, but the memories last forever.” – Unknown
Speaking of memories and pictures, have you considered using Memories to securely store your personal photos? Or to keep digitised copies of photos in your albums? If you haven’t yet, there is no better time to do so than now. Our digital platform is extremely fast and easy to use, and it uses industry-standard SSL encryption.
On Memories, there is plenty of storage space for both photos and videos, and you’ll have no problem keeping other data such as contacts and locations. It’s easy to create Timelines to compile different groups of photos, which you can share with family and friends by sending them links. Therefore, it is a great place to exchange photos, to edit and collaborate on digital photo albums. Take note that Memories is also available as an app for both iOS and Android devices. Click here to sign up for Memories today, and keep your cherished memories alive.